- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp finely sliced shallots
- 3 fresh green or red chillies, seeded and finely shredded
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- a large handful of Thai or ordinary basil leaves
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot, then add 1 tbsp of the oil. When it is very hot, add the chicken and stir-fry over a high heat for 8-10 minutes, until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, take the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reheat the wok and add the remaining oil. Toss in the garlic and shallots and stir fry for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add the chillies, fish sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar. Stir fry over a high heat for a further 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the basil leaves and serve at once.