- 8 ozs soft fresh goat cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsps grate lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 21/2 tbsps olive oil
- 30 slices baguette (French-bread)
- 12 ozs smoked salmon (thinly sliced)
- 1 lemon (cut into tiny slivers*)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix first goat cheese, herbs, lemon zest, and black pepper in a small bowl to blend. Set aside. (The cheese mixture can be mixed a couple of days ahead of time.)
- Brush oil over both sides of bread. Arrange bread in single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until bread is just crisp, about 5 minutes on each side. (You can prepare the toasts a couple hours in advance.)
- Spread cheese mixture over toasts. Top with salmon, trimming to fit. Garnish with lemon peel strips. Arrange on platter and serve.
*Use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel wide strips from a lemon. Probably the peel from just half of one lemon will do. Take a metal spoon and scoop out and discard any white pith that is under the peels you’ve removed. The pith is bitter. Then slice the peel into tiny slivers. If you do this part in advance, cover with plastic wrap so the strips do not dry out before you put them on the salmon.