- 150ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500g minced chicken or lean pork
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 5cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 long red chili, seeds removed, cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus extra lime wedges to serve
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped salted peanuts
- Heat the chicken stock in a wok or large frypan over medium-high heat, then add the chicken or pork mince, fish sauce and ginger. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until the meat has browned and cooked through (it might stick at first, but keep stirring).
- Add the chilli and sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the lime juice and most of the mint, basil and coriander to the warm mince mixture, then gently fold through, allowing the herbs to wilt. Taste and adjust the lime juice, fish sauce and salt.
- Arrange the cucumber and lettuce leaves on 4 serving plates. Use a slotted spoon to pile the larb gai over the top. Scatter with the peanuts and the remaining mint, basil and coriander, then serve with the lime wedges.
Note: You can also try with pork
Thai Minced Pork Salad (Larb Moo – ลาบหมู) –