- 6 slices fresh white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- ½ punnet strawberries, diced small
- 4½ tbsp Nutella
- ¼ cup caster sugar (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream or low fat)
- Pinch of salt
- Combine Egg Mixture in a bowl with a flat base large enough to lie the roll up in. Whisk to combine.
- Spread sugar out in a small dish.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread flat. This makes them easier to roll up (and stay rolled up).
- Spread each piece of bread with around ¾ tbsp of Nutella.
- Sprinkle strawberries along the bottom of each piece of bread.
- Roll up bread. The Nutella will keep it sealed.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Roll each roll up in the Egg Mixture, shake off excess then place in the pan. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Cook for around 4 minutes until each side is golden, rotating every 1 minute or so.
- Remove from pan and immediately place in the sugar. Roll to coat in sugar, then remove. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Serve immediately, while warm.
1. You won’t use all the sugar. But I find that you need around ¼ cup to ensure each roll up is evenly coated. You might be able to get away with less. If you sprinkle it on instead of rolling it, it won’t stick as well.
Icing sugar (confectionary sugar) doesn’t work, it just disappears instantly when it touches the roll up.
2. These are best eaten fresh. They tend to go soggy and because of the sugar, the bread “sweats” if left out.